Good couple days calling in VT

1badboy

Last weekend went pretty well with near perfect conditions.
The first day I got back into a swamp where people had been hearing a few coyotes at night. I started off as usual with a low distress sound and them a lone female howl and a louder more agressive distress. 20 minutes in and here comes a nice 35 pd female right up to the call and decoy and I dropped her at 30 yards.

2qd1qna.jpg

23jml8n.jpg

Did a few more sets until the wind picked up and called a day.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Saturday I decided to check out a farm I hadn't been to in awhile of an old friend.
He was glad to see me and said they has a cow go down and was cleaned up in less than a week and coyotes were all over !
So I headed for the back feilds near where the cow was and setup on the edge of another small swamped and clear cut. Started the call off in a low distress and a few minutes in and a coyote strolls in from behind the call out of the swamp.
I watched him looking around for a few minutes with one small sapling between us at about 75 yards. With a new setup I'm not used to I wanted to wait for a perfect shot when he started winding the air , even though I had the wind I decided now was the time. It obviously wasn't because the bullet never got through the brush and he was off in a jump back into the swamp.
The foxbang kicked over to pup in distress and I was sitting there kicking myself for blowing a chip shot when a couple dogs open up behind me into the feild. Now I'm really ticked off thinking it was the farmers dogs following me in when I turned to see 2 coyotes in the feild 200 yards behind me going nuts !
I zerod on the big male and spun him , the other took off and after a few running shots I had a little blood but what looked like just a winged coyote.
I trailed the male about 200 yards and found him in a brush pile.
I went back to the truck and grabbed my other rifle and went back in to grab my stuff and look around some more for the other coyote.
I ended up realizing it was a superficial wound and hit the call again just for good measure.
Sure enough I fired them back in but they had no interest of coming back in.
Big make ended up being 42 pds

2h4kcr7.jpg

I decided to go up the road and check a few other spots and found where a couple coyotes had messed around in the feild at night so decide to take the tracks and do a few sets.
First set was on the outskirts of a swamp and was a blank. So I took the tracks to the last feild in on the edge of a few year old cut.
A few minutes in to cottontail distress and out comes a female coming in hot !
I ended up shooting her on the run and she slid right into the call...

2yjvwiq.jpg

t50v40.jpg

1zfriq8.jpg

Did another few sets and called it a day.

Last edited:
Sunday I decided to try a few new spots in another area.
First setup had promise but no coyotes and just turkeys.
Next spot showed a bunch of tracks from 2 coyotes who had been frequenting the area eating some left over apples. I setup and started the sequence and a little under 5 minutes in after a howl , in comes a coyote headed for the decoy. I dumped him right where he slowed down.

6nyrzb.jpg

I let the call run for a few minutes on pup in distress and after a little bit I had another coyote barking at me. I assume it was with the other but just never came into the open.
I worked that coyote for 15-20 minutes with vocalizations but it just wouldn't show itself so I wanted for it to sound like it was going away and I made a move into the thick stuff. I got it to come back a few times with just glimpses and finally took a 50 yard shot through some brush with no luck.
I went back out and looked the first coyote over , ended up being an older male.
I took a few pics and the other one started back up barking back in the woods I went. He barked for another hour but wouldn't budge so I snuck within 75 yards and finally ended up bumping him.

15f15hu.jpg

13z0ehd.jpg

Did a few more sets and that was it for the day.

faaf0y.jpg

Monday afternoon I had a spot I've called alot over the years and killed a bunch of coyotes that I had a trail cam in I wanted to check.
So I brought my 2 yr old with me as he's been asking for awhile now and the Temps were pretty warm..
We setup in a back feild and I put him on the side we walked in from , hoping one wouldn't come in because I knew he wouldn't last long before he was moving around. After about 10 minutes he was conducting an ochestra with sticks when I looked over and a coyote is burning it across the feild doing Mach 1 , I took a couple hail Mary's but no dice.
The shrimp was just happy to see a coyote and some shooting. Probably not many 2 yr Olds get to see a coyote called in , especially in the northeast !
Coyotes are hungry and horny around here right now with the very mild winter we're having but I'm just getting started.
Thanks for reading my book
smile.gif

20ud15i.jpg

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
So much for the rumor that eastern coyotes are harder to hunt than our dumber western coyotes.
wink.gif
lol.gif

Love the pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Edit to add: What did you shoot that 2nd coyote with? It sure turned his world upside down.
tt2.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist. Just my warped sense of humor......gets me in trouble a lot.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hm1996So much for the rumor that eastern coyotes are harder to hunt than our dumber western coyotes.
wink.gif
lol.gif

Love the pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
hm

I personally have never hunted coyotes out west but know guys that make trips out every year and don't even bother here.
It can be frustrating and I've gone 40 or 50 sets without calling one in but when it does it all comes together and makes it worth it.
This wasn't my best weekend but close and I've shot plenty but there is alot of guys that struggle around here.
It's hit or miss but I've done well lately.

Originally Posted By: hm1996

Edit to add: What did you shoot that 2nd coyote with? It sure turned his world upside down.
tt2.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist. Just my warped sense of humor......gets me in trouble a lot.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

First female was shot with the shotgun.
Big male was hit with 223 and finish with 25-06.
2nd female was taken with 25-06 and last male was taken with 223

Good job ! Do you do any calling in the summer? I have a summer place up in Barnet, and hear howling almost every night. Was thinking about getting a licence and trying my luck. Don't know if there is too much natural food, or if they would respond. Our "season" closed 3/8. Congrats on taking the little one out.

Originally Posted By: masshunterGood job ! Do you do any calling in the summer? I have a summer place up in Barnet, and hear howling almost every night. Was thinking about getting a licence and trying my luck. Don't know if there is too much natural food, or if they would respond. Our "season" closed 3/8. Congrats on taking the little one out.

I don't usually but may try to more this year.
I don't live far from there and hunt that area often though.

We stay on Harvey Lake and Roy Mt WMA is just across the water, hear them all the time. I have a couple local contacts so I guess if I can pull myself away from the trout I'll have a go.

Originally Posted By: masshunterWe stay on Harvey Lake and Roy Mt WMA is just across the water, hear them all the time. I have a couple local contacts so I guess if I can pull myself away from the trout I'll have a go.

Drop me a line when you're over that way we may be able to figure something out.

Back